A Bibliography of Jesuit Encounters with World Religions
1. Ignatius Loyola, S.J., 1491-1554; and Jews, in James W. Reites, S.J., "St. Ignatius of Loyola and the Jews," Studies in Jesuit Spirituality, September, 1981, XIII.4); essays by Francisco de Borja Medina
2. Francis Xavier, S.J., 1506-1552; his views of religions as found in his letters, published by Institute of Jesuit Sources (Institute of Jesuit Sources); on his contemporaries, see The Call of the Orient: A Response by Jesuits in the Sixteenth Century (Heras Institute of Indian History and Culture, Mumbai, 1999) by Anthony DıCosta, S.J.
3. Alessandro Valignano, S.J., 1539-1606; the organizer of the mission in Asia; see Josef Franz Schutte, S.J., Valignano's Mission Principles for Japan (IJS)
4. Jose Acosta, S.J., 1540-1600, mission and cultural theorist, Peru; see Jose de Acosta, S.J. (1540-1600) by Claudio Burgaleta, S.J. (Chicago: Loyola University Press, 1999)
5. Jerome Xavier, S.J. (1549-1617), a leading Jesuit in the Mogul emperor Akbarıs court; Arnulf Camps, Jerome Xavier, S.J., and the Muslims of the Mogul Empire (Nouvelle Revue de Science Missionaire, 1957)
6. Mateo Ricci, S.J., 1552-1610; The True Meaning of the Lord of Heaven (T'ien-chu Shih-i), tr. by Douglas Lancashire and Peter Hu Kuo-chen, SJ; edited by Edward J. Malatesta, SJ (IJS); numerous secondary sources on the Jesuits in China
7. Gonçalo Fernandez, S.J., 1541-1619; Tratado do P. Gonçalo Fernandes Trancoso Sobre O Hinduismo, ed. by Jose Wicki, S.J., Lisbon: Centro de Estudos Historicos Ultramarinos, 1973.
8. Jacobo Fenicio, S.J., 1558-1632; Livro da Seita Dos Indios Orientais (British Museum Ms. Sloane 1820, edited in part by Jarl Charpentier, Uppsala, 1933)
9. Roberto de Nobili, S.J., 1577-1656; Preaching Wisdom to the Wise: Three Treatises by Roberto de Nobili, S.J. (Anand Amaladass, S.J., and Francis X. Clooney, S.J.; IJS)
10. Antonio Ruiz de Montoya, S.J., 1585-1652; Peru; The Spiritual Conquest: A Personal Account of the Founding and Early Years of the Jesuit Paraguay Reductions (1639); (IJS)
11. Alexandre de Rhodes, S.J., 1593-1660; (Mission and Catechesis: Alexandre de Rhodes and Inculturation in Seventeenth-Century Vietnam by Peter C. Phan (Maryknoll; Orbis Books, 1998)]
12. Athananius Kircher, S.J. (1602-1680); China Illustrata with Sacred and Secular Monuments, Various Spectacles of Nature and Art and other Memorabilia (1667), tr., C. van Tuyl (Indiana University, 1987)
13. Joseph Lafitau, S.J. (1681-1746), Customs of the American Indians Compared with the Customs of Primitive Times (1720), tr. by W. N.Fenton and E. L. Moore; Michel de Certeauıs essay on Lafitau
14. Ippolito Desideri, S.J., 1684-1733; A Missionary in Tibet: Letters and Other Papers of Fr. Ippolito Desideri, S.J., ed. and tr. by H. Hosten; Philip Caraman, Tibet: the Jesuit Century (IJS)
15. See also: Gauvin Bailey: Art on the Jesuit Missions in Asia and Latin America (Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1999)
16. Pierre Johanns, S.J., To Christ through the Vedanta, 2 volumes, (UTC, Bangalore, 1996)
17. Henri de Lubac, S.J., Aspects of Buddhism, New York, Sheed and Ward, 1954.
18. Ignatius Hirudayam, S.J., pioneer in inculturation in 20th century south India, author of numerous Tamil-language books on the encounter of Catholicism and Tamil and Hindu culture.
19. Richard DeSmet, S.J. Sankaraıs Theological Method (Dissertation, Gregorian University, 1954)
20. Anthony de Mello, S.J., Sadhana, A Way to God : Christian Exercises in Eastern Form (Image Books, 1984)
Some more recent bibliography:
21. William Johnston, S.J., The Still Point : Reflections on Zen and Christian mysticism, (Fordham University Press, 1977)
22. Ovey Mohammed, S.J., Muslim-Christian relations : past, present, future (Orbis Books, 1999)
23. Jacques Dupuis, S.J.. Toward a Christian Theology of Religious Pluralism (Orbis Books, 1997)
24. Robert Kennedy, S.J., Zen Gifts to Christians (Continuum, 2001), Zen Spirit, Christian Spirit (1995)
25. Raymond Bucko, S.J., The Lakota Ritual of the Sweat Lodge : History and Contemporary Practice (University of Nebraska Press, 1998)
26. Aloysius Pieris, S.J., Love Meets Wisdom : a Christian Experience of Buddhism (Orbis Books, 1988)
27. Eric de Rosny, S.J., Healers in the Night (Orbis Books, 1985), a French Jesuitıs account of his immersion in the world of a West African healer, nganga
28. Francis X. Clooney, S.J. Seeing through Texts: Doing Theology among the Srivaisnavas of South India (New York: SUNY Press, 1996)
Site Launched: December 3, 2000